Rails & Tails: September brings the return of the Cast and Blast
9/6/2012Fall is fast approaching the Cape Fear Coast of NC and with the arrival of September one of my favorite outdoor pursuits begins; the cast and blast. With the opening of hunting season we have the unique opportunity of hunting Clapper Rails or "marsh hens" as they are commonly known and on the right days and tides, fishing for tailing redfish in the spartina marshes.
Rail season will run in NC from Sept 1 through Nov. 9. There are specific considerations to be made regarding tides and the bird migration so don't delay in getting your dates secure on the calendar via email or my Spotted Tail RMS service as soon as possible.
Redfishing is superb this time of year and will get even better as water temps cool and days get shorter. Combined those two conditions really trigger the fish to put on the feed bag! As fall sets in we will also see the spotted sea trout bite turn on providing us with a lot of fishing action throughout the tide phases. Between redfish schools getting larger, tailing tides, clapper rails and trout fishing the real question is how to find the time to fit it all in this season. Just this week the reds were tearing up the fiddler crabs and shrimp and giving my anglers and I a sight none of us will soon forget, tails happily waving in the grass...
There's plenty of adventure waiting for you on the Cape Fear Coast this season and I invite you to come test your skills on the Rails and Tailst!
For more information on Rails and Tails see our article in Gray's Sporting Journal:
Rail photos Courtesy of Walker Golder
Till Next Tide,
Capt. Seth Vernon~
- Part IV: The Finale of the 2007 Beavertail Retrofit!
- Part 3: Beavertail Restoration Part 3: Sand, Prime, Paint...Repeat.
- Part 2 Breathing New Life into my 2007 Beavertail Skiff
- Breathing New Life into a Workhorse: 2007 Beavertail B2 gets a Facelift
- Fly Boatworks Debuts their 18' Backwater Tiller at Wrightsville Beach, NC
- Nathan Edwards enjoys the first Cast & Blast of the season on the Cape Fear Coast, NC
- Rails & Tails: September brings the return of the Cast and Blast
- Tailing Reds to Topwater Bites: Wilmington, NC Redfishing Continues to be Excellent!
- Hot Summer Tailing and Topwater Redfish Bite in Wilmington, NC
- Ashe Lands First Redfish~Wilmington, NC
- Fly Fishing NC Flooded Grass with Damon Keuhl
- Double Haul Guide Service Website gets a Facelift
- Will Behrman and Frank tackle Wrightsville Redfish
- I'm ever grateful for good friends! Powerheads, donor flats boats and charters...
- An Anglers Point of View of Fishing the Cape Fear Coast
- Spring Fishing is Heating up on the Cape Fear Coast
- Visiting International Angler catches first Redfish on Fly
- Peter Smith Finds Redfish Revival on Bald Head Island
- Guiding Angler Colles Stowell on the Fly in his new Beavertail BT3
- Wilmington Winter Sight Fishing still going strong...