Tailing Reds to Topwater Bites: Wilmington, NC Redfishing Continues to be Excellent!
8/15/2012The redfishing in Wilmington NC continues to be excellent. This past week I've had several anglers out on the water for low tide and high tide redfish action on the fly. Doug Siefkes and his son, Ryan, came in from the West Coast and being avid steelheaders they caught on quick. The guys loved sight fishing our local reds and I was proud to be a part of turning these guys from purely loving chrome fish to having a deep passion for copper plated fish too. They both commented on how strong the reds are. Doug landed this handsome red on fly while casting to a school of over 100 reds all feeding in less than a foot of water. Ryan opted for the plug/ aka topwater lure, and picked off a brute nine pounder.
Later in the week I got on the water with angler David Melvin in search of tailing redfish in the flooded spartina. While I managed to get David in position like this on a number of hungry happy reds waving their tails buck fever got the better of my angling companion, as it has many before him, and the result was a great night of shots, seeing fish and photographing but I didn't get to leader any for David that evening. Nevertheless David couldn't believe his eyes and we had an absolute blast fishing the flooded marsh together. We are already making plans for our next adventure.
Late Summer and Early Fall are excellent times to be redfishing in coastal NC. There's plenty more tailing tide action left this year so don't miss your opportunity to get on the water and experience it first hand. Call or email me if you'd like to book an adventure or if you are traveling to the Cape Fear Coast of NC this season.
Till Next Tide,
Captain Seth Vernon
- Part IV: The Finale of the 2007 Beavertail Retrofit!
- Part 3: Beavertail Restoration Part 3: Sand, Prime, Paint...Repeat.
- Part 2 Breathing New Life into my 2007 Beavertail Skiff
- Breathing New Life into a Workhorse: 2007 Beavertail B2 gets a Facelift
- Fly Boatworks Debuts their 18' Backwater Tiller at Wrightsville Beach, NC
- Nathan Edwards enjoys the first Cast & Blast of the season on the Cape Fear Coast, NC
- Rails & Tails: September brings the return of the Cast and Blast
- Tailing Reds to Topwater Bites: Wilmington, NC Redfishing Continues to be Excellent!
- Hot Summer Tailing and Topwater Redfish Bite in Wilmington, NC
- Ashe Lands First Redfish~Wilmington, NC
- Fly Fishing NC Flooded Grass with Damon Keuhl
- Double Haul Guide Service Website gets a Facelift
- Will Behrman and Frank tackle Wrightsville Redfish
- I'm ever grateful for good friends! Powerheads, donor flats boats and charters...
- An Anglers Point of View of Fishing the Cape Fear Coast
- Spring Fishing is Heating up on the Cape Fear Coast
- Visiting International Angler catches first Redfish on Fly
- Peter Smith Finds Redfish Revival on Bald Head Island
- Guiding Angler Colles Stowell on the Fly in his new Beavertail BT3
- Wilmington Winter Sight Fishing still going strong...